Wednesday 31 May 2017

Steady away.

Things calmed down a little, and so the 18th and 19th both passed with little in the way of highlights. I had a few days off Long Nab, putting in a few hours on Castle Hill each day on the off chance.

With things so quiet along the coast I opted to joining Steve and Tony on a little twitching on the 19th, as I was doing fairly on well on my PWC effort, in fact closing in on 170 species, I thought it would be silly on to connect with a few odds and ends around the greater Scarborough area, I felt in good stead to beat my previous year list record of 218 and maybe even press for the all-time record of 225 set by Nick in 2014.

Not out for long with only two stops, but Great Egret was added at Harwood Dale Lake and while close it would be rude not to nip to Ravenscar to see the Hoopoe – my second of the year.

Great Egret - Harwood Dale Lake.
Great Egret (with Canada Goose family) - Harwood Dale Lake
Oystercatcher with chick - Harwood Dale Lake once again proving to be kind to breeding Oystercatchers, although it almost always seems to be just the one that makes it.

The 20th saw me back up at Long Nab early on, and the day proved frustrating, at least the beginning of it.
After an hour or so at the obs nothing too much seemed to be happening so I had a quick stroll round the site. Whilst away from the obs Nick, Steve and Pete arrived.
Before I made it back to meet up and get the kettle on a small pale Lark flew south over Nick giving a ‘churrp’ call! Unfortunately it continued south and couldn’t be clinched!
Not too long after a small Harrier was picked up late, only Nick and I got views but with long narrow wings and a rather distinctive buoyant flight it was clearly a Montagu’s/Pallid!!! Another goodie had slipped the net!

My day at least improved, an hour or so after the lads left to partake in a little twitching an Osprey headed north inland at 10.45hrs, a very welcome year tick.
Less than half an hour later, at 11.13hrs another Osprey came in off the sea from the south east and continued north along the cliffs!

Record of the second Osprey arriving in from the southeast at Long Nab.

Other highlights during the day included 466 Swallow and 314 House Martin south and ten Barnacle Geese (nine south, one north).

Some of the Barnacle Geese heading south at Long Nab.

Another interesting day followed. A few beers that night meant I wasn’t the earliest riser among the other ‘nabbers’, an action that could prove costly if it becomes a habit!
Well, by 05.30hrs I was up, news of a drake Mandarin on Johnson’s Marsh was just too much of a temptation to just roll over to catch another precious hour!
Still feeling the effects of one too many pints, I feel ashamed to say my first Taxi of the year was called!
Wanting to get to Long Nab and save myself the 3+ mile walk I used the services of Nippy Taxis to get there, a quick pit stop at Johnson’s was included to tick the plastic fantastic that was thankfully still present! Some PWC #patchgold!

The Johnson's Marsh Mandarin.

Up at the Nab things were steady. A Short-eared Owl in off the sea at 08.20hrs was another PWC addition.
Corn Bunting on the wires before heading off south and a Dark-bellied Brent Goose north were both noteworthy as was a cream-crown Marsh harrier that flew south.
Unlike many large BOP’s this bird actually passed by fairly close to the obs, close enough in fact to read the green wings tags (with help from the ‘Lumix lads’) – black letters ‘VH’.
It transpired that this bird was caught last year on the Norfolk/Suffolk border.

Wing tagged Marsh Harrier south at Long Nab.






No comments:

Post a Comment