Tuesday 30 May 2017

It just gets better!

The 16th was another one of those fantastic days, Hirundines were flooding south between rain showers from the word go while a Dotterel did the opposite, flying north over Crook Ness giving the ‘peep’ call as it went, only my third in the whole of Scarborough and at Long Nab!

Another shower, the heaviest of the day moved in so I sped up to make it to the obs. Arriving there I opened up before scanning the field to the north, which at the time was still fairly bare, with the crop only recently germinating. I had thought that maybe the Dotterel would have dropped in.
With no Dotterel evident a pale blob caught my attention. Assuming it would just be a Wheatear I set up my scope and took a look.
Rather surprisingly it wasn’t a Wheatear, after a slight movement it revealed itself to be a large Pipit!
Shocked, I grabbed my gear and headed north to get some better views, rain still hammering hard I made it half way and scoped it again.
Pale large Pipit with completely un-streaked underparts, surely this was a Tawny Pipit.
It began moving away from me so I approached a little more, with the rain easing I was able to get some better views through the scope. Definitely un-streaked breast, mantle plain also while face gave a fairly open expression and those lores were dark! It was a TAWNY PIPIT. Scarborough’s second following the South Cliff bird I stumbled across on 24th April 2014!!
A few more notes were taken and with things confirmed and rain easing still I approached quietly along the hedge in the hope of getting closer to secure some shots.
It was as I was beginning to peer over to relocate it that I heard the ‘schreep’, instantly it took me back to the call of the bird that was on South Cliff and having heard several Richard’s in that time in between it was pleasing that that was my reaction.
Another call, this time further to my left and it was clear the bird was in flight. I watched as it continued south and follow the cliffs until it was out of sight. Several more ‘schreep’ calls were heard as well as a couple of short ‘cherp’ type calls.

On top of the clear highlights it was another decent day, the best of the vis-mig totals came in at a Red Kite, ten Curlew, 81 Sand Martin, 1397 Swallow and 502 House Martin south.
A Bottlenose Dolphin heading south offshore was a nice distraction.


Curlew heading south, a fair few over the last few days, early for Curlew movement. Has it been a poor year for breeding?
Red Kite heading south.
Another of the Red Kite after being pushed out to sea a little by Corvids.
Brown Hare.


No comments:

Post a Comment