Sunday 14 May 2017

A change for the better...

This spring seems to have a rather predictable theme running through it, a period of nasty, cold northerly winds that seem to last a life time before eventually breaking down and swinging round to a more desirable direction – or maybe it’s just me?

Well on the 10th May that cold persistent north wind that had been blowing for about a week finally subsided and at 04.30hrs I was walking north along the beach in North Bay in a nice south westerly.

By 05.00hrs I was on the cliffs and already logging the first few Swallows heading south.
I lasted 9 hours in the field – and for the most part it was interesting – if a little frustrating at times, clear skies and, at times, virtually no wind meant that the vis mig wasn’t as good as it could have been, although I should stop complaining – it was exceptional compared to recent days!
Highlights on the move were nine Swift, 35 Sand Martin, 37 House Martin, 555 Swallow, four Flava, a Grey Wagtail, a Siskin and a Lesser Redpoll, the latter being a long awaited PWC tick!
A Pink-footed Goose north was noteworthy.

News of an Osprey north at Hunmanby at around 09.00hrs (presumably the same bird that flew north at Spurn a few hours previous) was duly searched for, however as with many north bound birds at Hunmanby it never appeared.
Presumably many birds heading north inland of Hunmanby are drawn in to the Carrs and particularly with species such as Osprey the sight of Wykeham South Lake must just be too tempting!

A thorough search for any grounded migrants came up almost empty, five Wheatear in the Long Nab area was all I had to show for my efforts.

Wheatear at Long Nab

Back down south my day ended at Scalby Mills where my very last scan revealed the bleached white plumage of a 2cy Glaucous Gull chilling out on the last few exposed rocks, not at all what I was expecting on a warm May afternoon.

Distant Glaucous Gull at Scalby Mills - I think my 1st ever in May, anywhere.


No comments:

Post a Comment