Tuesday 10 May 2016

Easterly promise on a busy weekend!

With the forecast tracking a period of east – northeast winds over the weekend of the 7th and 8th May, albeit rather light winds, I was still pretty eager for the potential migrants it may bring.
It did unfortunately fall on a weekend that was going to be a busy one and one that would no doubt see the ale flowing in large quantities, my sisters 21st!
Knowing that I would never be forgiven if I wasn’t to turn up, nor would I live down not turning up at the Bowling Alley where I had promised to beat the family, I was in a tricky situation.
So, after a late finish at work on the Friday, and a planned meeting time of midday on the Saturday I was up early and headed north along the cliffs towards Long Nab where I was to be picked up around 11.00 ish. I at least intended to make the most of the short time I had available and spend it in the field.
It was rather an uneventful walk with very little if an vis-mig in evidence, a Ringed Plover calling whilst heading north was about the lot. Jackson’s Bay held a Common Sandpiper and 4 Bar-tailed Godwit, one of which was in rather fine breeding attire.

Scalby Lodge Pond was quiet, a Sedge Warbler in Trough Gully was the only migrant I noted until I arrived at Crook Ness where a Spotted Flycatcher was watched feeding in the hedgerow running west from the car park.
I called it a day soon after that and headed home.


Sea fret rolling in over Scarborough...
...and rolling in at Long Nab
Spotted Flycatcher at Crook Ness

With celebrations continuing long into the night I wasn't planning on an early rise on the 8th. The re-appearance of the Stone Curlew on Seamer Mead though meant I received a phone call from Steve in the wee hours! Cheers!

A little more snoozing and I eventually headed out for the Curlew at about 10.00, unfortunately though it hadn't been seen since 08.55 when it flew west to Star Carr!

On arrival I could make out a few people through the heat haze who were clearly looking at something. About 40 minutes later I arrived to discover they weren't watching the hoped for Curlew but the Wood Sandpiper they were watching was a welcome addition to the Scarborough year list.
A few hours later after walking almost all the fields on the Carr I gave up, it looked like it may have actually gone.
It was still a pleasant enough walk with at least 7 Wheatear, a Whimbrel, a Green Sandpiper loads of singing Sedge Warbler and plenty of Lapwing chicks.

Seamer Mead looking east
Seamer Mead looking west

With news that Steve and Tony had just had 10 Black Tern through Wykeham it was decided that there would be worth a visit. Though the bad luck continued as a Black-tailed Godwit left just on our arrival! And despite nearly 2 hours waiting there no more Terns passed through, I had to be happy enough with 2 Dunlin and a Whimbrel!

I had to call it a day there as I had more family commitments in the afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment