Tuesday 10 May 2016

Double Whammy!

After finishing work at 11.00 I headed off inland with a session at Wykeham South Lake in mind, hoping to actually connect with a few Terns heading out east.
Between 11.40 and 15.20 not a single Tern passed through, rather disappointing. Still during that time there were a few things to keep one interested whilst basking in the warm sun by the viewpoint, the only thing missing was a beer, and a Tern or two of course.
Highlight was an Osprey I picked up coming in from the southwest at about 13.40, it flew round a bit before heading over to Causeway Lake where it soon returned carrying a fish which it took off west and dropped out of sight behind the trees.
Waders were clearly on the move, 44 Redshank, a Dunlin and a Ringed Plover were headlined by a Wood Sandpiper that headed northeast. Later 24 (presumably some of the birds mentioned above) Redshank were down on a flood at Straits Lane and were accompanied by a single Whimbrel.
Present at the Lakes were 4 Pink-footed and a Barnacle Goose, 2 Common Sandpiper and a Redshank.

A sunny Wykeham South Lake

A short break that afternoon was very welcome but I had one goal in mind for that evening – head to Seamer Mead and Star Carr in an attempt to relocate the Stone Curlew, however it wasn't seen this morning so my chances of finding it had dwindling surely?
It was again a pleasant walk however out across the Carrs, yesterday’s Wood Sandpiper was still present along with 7 Wheatear while a fly over Greenshank was my first of the year. Watching the many Swifts feeding out over Star Carr to the backdrop of Sedge Warbler and Whitethroat song was very enjoyable, unfortunately I couldn't find a Red-footed Falcon or even a Hobby for that matter despite looking up a lot!
Even more unfortunate was the absence of the Stone Curlew!
With the Mrs getting hungry (I was too) we decided to head back to the car and head home. A check of Seamer Tip pool first produced 2 Pink-footed Geese, a few Tufted Duck and juvenile Coot and a Spotted Flycatcher was feeding along the perimeter hedge.

Buzzard and Carrion Crow over Seamer Mead

One of two Pink-footed Geese (and a Greylag) at Seamer Tip

Back at home, oven on and food well on its way to being ready, the worst happened! John Harwood had located the Stone Curlew, almost a mile to the east of where I had been.
Now, I have become a professional at begging, as I guess most blokes (birders) in a committed relationship have, and so the oven was turned off and she took me back to the Carrs!

It will cost me!


Running is no longer my forte but I got from Taylor Way to Seamer Mead in rather a short length of time (I have still got it – a bit) and I was soon heading toward John’s location.

It wasn’t until I had leaped a few ditches and snaked my way over some electric fences that I met up with John and seconds later added Stone Curlew to my Scarborough list, my 5th area tick this year! And about time to, this bird had given me (and many others) the run around!


John was kind enough to give me a lift home and with my dinner on the table as I arrived I felt pretty good!


Stone Curlew, taken at 20.30 bad light etc
Stone Curlew, same excuse as above!

didn't get up early at all on the 10th, with work that night and a planned full day in the field on the 11th I opted for a late morning start.
Long Nab was my destination, a check of the area would be about all I would have time for but with the odd bird still arriving on the coast it was worth a look.
Little did I know I was about to bag my second Scarborough tick inside 15 hours, as well as my first find tick of the year.
Literally 90 seconds after getting out the car some movement caught my eye, it was slightly obscured so I moved a little before getting a clear(ish) view, it was a bloody ORTOLAN!
It had clearly just had a bath in the small beck running through Crook Ness and was now sat up having a preen and a shake.
With serious Scarborough Listers Nick and Steve still in need of Ortolan (Chris nailed an autumn bird a few years back) I got the news out quickly, not too surprising that this is still needed, it’s only the fourth area record!
The bird Chris had in August 2014 followed birds in May 1973 and October 1977, a real rarity here.
It stuck around for about 15 minutes before flying off north. It didn't gain any height so I was hopeful it would have come down somewhere in the Clifftop House area.
Steve and Tony were soon on site, unfortunately Nick was at work.
We began our search which in the end just turned into a full check of the entire Long Nab area and with nothing to show for our efforts, not even another migrant of any kind, we agreed that maybe it did continue north past Clifftop House.
Another check of Crook Ness revealed nothing of interest and neither did the walk home, passerine wise at least. Two Grey Plover were on the small flood to the north of Cromer Point Pond, one of which was looking smart. Another Grey Plover on Scalby Lodge Pond was looking just as good.
Thoughts were soon turned towards work unfortunately which meant I had to head home. At least tomorrow was my day off and with a planned early start at Long Nab who knows what we would find!


Ortolan, my first view of the bird
It did eventually show a little better
And another for good measure




No comments:

Post a Comment