Thursday 27 April 2017

Mid April

As April progressed the seeming early start to spring was halted when the wind veered to the north-north west and remained there, almost unchanged, for a fair few days.
Things changed ever so slightly eventually and gave me all the inspiration I needed to get out, well at least for an hour or two on Castle on the 8th in the hope of mopping up any migrants that had battled north during the small window of opportunity. Realistically I was hoping for a Willow Warbler at best – failed on that one, but I did head home surprised. A migrant I wasn’t entirely sure I would even come across in my PWC area, even in the peak times in June etc, never mind in April!
Whilst stood on the south side, overlooking the area behind the water treatment centre along Marine Drive a Quail flew towards me up the bank side, over the top of me and then dropped back in!
Whether this bird had been flushed (maybe by a Fox?) or had just arrived in off is a mystery.

Other than that the first 10 days or so of the month produced more expected additions, Yellow Wagtail, Willow Warbler, Whimbrel etc while Goosander (a female) finally made an appearance for me.

The Shorelark flock remained at Long Nab – appearing after another few day’s absence.
Over the sea on the 12th Manx Shearwater and 2 Puffin were additions for the year while 16 Sandwich Tern was the largest number of 2017 to date.
Later that day, whilst at Scalby Mills a 2cy Glaucous Gull flew south at sea and continued past Marine Drive. A quick message to Steve, comfortably in his ‘obs’ in South Bay overlooking the Harbour meant he soon picked the beast up coming in and dropping into the Harbour. I couldn’t resist a better look, unfortunately picture opportunities weren’t great in a cold wintry shower.


Male Stonechat on the end of Long Nab.
A fresh in male Wheatear on the end of Long Nab.
Glaucous Gull in the Harbour.

No comments:

Post a Comment