Thursday 13 October 2016

More east winds…..

Well the easterlies haven’t let up – at all!
I haven’t managed to be out every daylight hour God has sent due to work and feeling a little ill, but I have still been putting plenty of time in.
There has definitely been a clear out of some migrants during the week, I haven’t seen a Yellow-browed Warbler for a while and the small numbers of arriving Goldcrest and Robin haven’t compensated for the many that have cleared off inland with numbers remaining constant or dropping slightly.

Still, Thrushes have been trickling in, mainly Song Thrush and Redwing as well as the odd Blackbird while my first two Fieldfare of the autumn were on Castle Hill on the 13th.

My first Woodcock of the autumn rocketed in off the sea on the 11th, narrowly missing my face, while Twite have clearly started to move, a single behind the Marine Drive wall on the 12th was followed by two on Scalby Nab a little later that day. A slow walk north as far as Cromer Point that day produced very little, a male Brambling, half a dozen Goldcrest, the odd Thrush etc. was about it, until I flushed a rather showy Lapland Bunting near Scalby Nab, and although it showed well, I had to share it with the plague of dog walkers and model plane/drone flyers, so my pictures are no not as good as they would have been if I had of had the bird to myself on a quieter section of the Cleveland Way.

Also on the 13th on Castle Hill the Pallas’s Warbler was still putting on a show on the south side, Goldcrest numbers increased slightly to about 35 however Chiffchaff numbers were down to 2 and I only dug out 1 Blackcap, although it was a male, the two I had seen the previous day were both female.
With the arrivals along the coast it was surely only a matter of time before Mealy Redpoll turned up, my first two were in Dusky Dell on the north side while a third was in St Marys Church as I walked home.
Two Wheatear and 3 Brambling were about the best of the rest that day. 


Still plenty of continental Robin around with new arrivals each day
Same can be said for Goldcrest
The 'showy' Lapland Bunting hiding from oncoming dogs....
lap Bunt again
The showy Pallas's with more below....






1 comment:

  1. Very nice article, I enjoyed reading your post, very nice share, I want to twit this to my followers. Thanks!. Best HVAC Scarborough

    ReplyDelete