Thursday 9 June 2016

Spring finale

So with Spurn seemingly having a great time late on this spring I made the effort to check Castle Hill, on Tuesday 7th, in an attempt to squeeze one last good bird from the spring.
I wasn’t expecting much but the hope was there (as ever), maybe there would be a Marsh or Icterine Warbler blasting song out or perhaps even a Bee-eater calling whilst drifting over, I had to try.

Good numbers of young birds were all I had seen on my walk - the whole of the south side and most of the north. I took a rest on the bench on the plateau on north side overlooking North Bay, a few Sandwich Tern were patrolling the calm waters but that was about it.
I had to check behind Marine Drive wall, surely it would be devoid of migrants but I couldn't not check it when I was this close. Almost on auto pilot I walked through noting that the pair of Rock Pipit now had at least two fledged juveniles in tow as well as a few Painted Lady and the odd remaining Diamondback Moth.
As I approached the now legendary ‘Booted Plantation’ I barely gave it any attention and instead looked out at sea. Auks were passing by but very little else was.
With the sound of the sea and the sun beating down I was feeling rather relaxed and was half tempted to have half an hour laid on the grass (it wouldn't have been the first time) when the call of a GREENISH WARBLER from behind me perked me up no end!
I turned round to catch the arse end of it flick through the plantation and along the grass bank a few meters before disappearing.
Camera at the ready I was in hot pursuit and soon located it in the small Sycamore where I was able to get a few nice views. Unfortunately it didn't stay there long enough for any shots and was again off in the direction of the Skate Park on the north side. I was able to get a couple more views of it in the grass before it made it so far it could clearly see the well wooded area of Castle Hill and within seconds it had vanished!
Based on the behaviour I think it had literally just arrived, I have been at the ‘Booted Plantation’ when a Yellow-browed Warbler (as well as numerous common migrants) arrived and did exactly the same, including the brief stop in the Sycamore!

I gave it half an hour trying to relocate the bird but if you have even seen Castle Hill you know what it’s like! Plus I had work – again.
This is Scarborough’s eighth Greenish Warbler since the first in August 1984, it’s only the 2nd spring record for the area too following a singing bird I found on Castle Hill on 28th May 2013.

After Tuesdays success I planned to once again get out on Wednesday in the hope of squeezing another last bird out of the spring, surely it wouldn't happen again.
To cut a short story shorter it didn't!

In fact it was rather a poor morning out. The thick sea fret, at times dropping visibility to 30 meters hampered efforts for the first hour or so. Once clear a few odds and sods were noted passing at sea, a few Puffin, Sandwich Tern, Common Scoter, Manx Shearwater and 11 Canada Geese, before a walk round Long Nab was in order.
In truth it was terrible, a typical June walk around, no migrants found!
Maybe that’s it for spring? At least for me.
Or maybe the south easterlies at the weekend will help that last good bird drift in?!


The pea souper off Long Nab early on
It eventually cleared

No comments:

Post a Comment